What do you find most difficult about conferring? This is the question I posed to Two Writing Teacher readers today. It’s an important question, because by zeroing in on the specific things we find difficult, we are able to develop a plan of action.
I’m a conferring junkie. I love it. So this question gives me pause. Those are the very best questions. The ones I have to stop and think about for myself.
I’ll begin with a little history — the things I used to find most difficult…
- Getting students to talk about their writing processes.
- Waiting enough so students will respond in a conference.
- Having something to teach.
- Finding something useful to teach.
- Selecting the most powerful teaching point.
- Documenting pertinent information from every conference.