What do you find most difficult about conferring? This is the question I posed to Two Writing Teacher readers today. It’s an important question, because by zeroing in on the specific things we find difficult, we are able to develop a plan of action.
I’m a conferring junkie. I love it. So this question gives me pause. Those are the very best questions. The ones I have to stop and think about for myself.
I’ll begin with a little history — the things I used to find most difficult…
- Getting students to talk about their writing processes.
- Waiting enough so students will respond in a conference.
- Having something to teach.
- Finding something useful to teach.
- Selecting the most powerful teaching point.
- Documenting pertinent information from every conference.
Let's Be Email Pals!
Teaching writers doesn't have to drown us.
Enter your information to receive my free eBook, plus weekly tips and encouragement for teaching writers.