52 day challenge: accept
I knew early in the week what I would be recording today for the 52 Day Challenge.
Q: What is mine to do?
I need to accept that I will make mistakes, that I won’t get everything done, and that it is okay. For instance, this week I:
- Forgot to turn in my mileage.
- Showed up at the wrong school to lead professional development for our late arrival day. The school I needed to be at was nearly 30 minutes away. (Really, it’s remarkable I’ve not done this before now. I’m in and out of six different schools on a regular basis.)
- Missed my deadline with Stenhouse for Celebrating Writers.
- Didn’t respond to emails I really wanted to get to.
- Ran out of time for my third run of the week.
But look, the world is still spinning. None of those things were devastating to my career, family, or health. Everything is working out — maybe even for the better. I’m learning to accept my mistakes. I can’t possibly do everything I want to do in a single day. There’s not enough time. I will always be wishing I can do more. And sometimes, when life gets really full and busy I’m going to mess up. I have to accept that this is just part of the way I choose to live.
I would rather live to the fullest, knowing some days or weeks are going to be crazy-busy and I’m not going to keep up, than to have perfect order and plenty of time for limited commitments. Mine to do is accepting a life that is purposeful, but sometimes a little overwhelming.