Sam turned seven. Will I ever light his candles and not wonder how the year went so fast? Will I ever not stand in disbelief about how much he’s changed?
- He loves to read. He reads every day. He loves almost everything — nonfiction, fantasy, mystery, poetry, realistic fiction…if he can open the cover, he likes to read it.
- He builds Lego creations with surprising detail and precision. He prefers to make his own designs. This week he performed Lego Episodes for me while I cooked dinner. There’s an entire set (several, in fact) where the Lego mini figures perform their TV show.
- We have “Mom and Sam Time” almost every Saturday morning. During this time we snuggle on the couch, reading and writing, then watching Lionel TV shows and eventually playing iPad.
- He loves chocolate chip cookies. This makes me love to make chocolate chip cookies.
- Once again he appears to be the glue that is bonding the family. He is helping Jordan find his place in our family.
- Instead of having a birthday party this year, Sam wanted to invite his friend Garen to the “grown up” party. (Garen is a grown up.) Sam and Garen love trains, so he wants Garen to come over to play trains. “I think Papa and Garen will get along well,” he said. He’s been working on his train layout all week to get ready for the party.
- He carries my coffee out to the car each weekday morning. He calls himself “coffee boy” and makes sure I don’t forget it.
Let's Be Email Pals!
Teaching writers doesn't have to drown us.
Enter your information to receive my free eBook, plus weekly tips and encouragement for teaching writers.