2012: Steph Timeline
- I consider 2012 my personal year of healing. There were so many parts of me I had lost being Stephanie’s mom, and this was the year I reclaimed many things. I began cooking again, with fresh food. Exercise became daily. I took a water aerobics class, and remembered why I loved it. I dropped so many sizes. Most importantly, I reestablished my habit of daily scripture reading and I began journaling every morning about faith.
- I started laughing again. I just remembered that this was very upsetting to Stephanie. In a few years, Stephanie would tell one of the therapists that the thing she hated most about me is I like to laugh. She said it just that way, “I hate my mom because she likes to laugh. She acts like it’s okay to laugh even when people have hard times. She just acts like life if perfect and happy, and she laughs when things are funny. I hate that. I hate her for laughing.”
- Stephanie was in lots of sports. She had basketball cupcakes for her birthday.
- Family and friends were in abundance. They wrapped warm hugs around Stephanie and had ridiculous grace.
- Karianne ended her exchange year with her family coming to visit. It was a lovely way for Stephanie to see and experience the way families can love one another and be forever, even if they meet later in life.
We thought 2012 was a turning point and things were going to be okay.